Tuesday 24 February 2015

Module 3 Chapter 9

A resolved sample

It's such a long time since I have done any work on this chapter, that to get started, I have decided to write up everything I have done so far, see what still needs to be done, and then set myself a target for completing it.

This module calls for a resolved sample based on spirals,  using at least two techniques from this module as well as techniques from the previous modules.

I've actually found spirals quite difficult, it took me a long time to come up with drawings and monoprints I was happy with - my old problem of being too literal, and not being spontaneous and free in the marks I was making.

So I revisited Chapter 2, and so as to get the relevant bits here in front of me, here are  a couple of the best drawings and monoprints from Chapter 2.

3.9.1

3.9.2

3.9.3

Just about at the same time as I was starting to think about this Chapter, Sian introduced the Summer drawing series of lessons, and I made this drawing using a torn spiral, both the positive and negative, as a mask.

3.9.4

I was really pleased with how free it was, and how interesting the overlapping marks were, so I continued to work in my sketchbook using some of the summer drawing lessons as inspiration. I tore up photocopies of some of my monoprints, added spiral scribbles, and printed direct to my sketchbook using a foam printing block I had made in an earlier chapter.

I printed on top of some of my "failed" monoprints from Chapter 2 and tore them up and tried to develop them with additional lines and scribbles, and generally enjoyed myself!

3.9.5

3.9.6

3.9.7

3.9.8

3.9.9

3.9.10

Some of these are more successful than others, but I was sufficiently pleased with the results to decide to try the same process in textile. I deliberately didn't set out to copy what I had done, but to try and replicate the processes.

Because of the way I had layered everything up, using reverse applique from Module 1 seemed a good place to start.

I made three pieces working very quickly to try and keep the spontaneity going. I used monoprinted fabric from earlier in the module, machine embroidered fabric from earlier in the module. I tried to work freely between the three pieces, adding bits I'd cut from one piece into another.

3.9.11

3.9.12

3.9.13

I was looking at them all sitting beside each other on my work surface, and I wondered about putting the three pieces together and trying to integrate them, so I pinned them together, and started to lay on a few cut pieces to start the integration process. 

That's how it went to Summer School, and my tutorial with Sian. We agreed that I should concentrate on one piece and we agreed 3.9.11.

And that's the last thing I did. Excuses I know, but despite my best intentions, I have been so busy with other things that I simply haven't been able to get any work done on this at all.

So what next? I've made photocopies of all three pieces and I'm going to try various options - maybe doing some more printing and doing more reverse applique; maybe making some wrapped pieces to apply; maybe making some spirals out of cords and applying them. I'm hoping that as I start to work, other ideas with present themselves. Having written all this, I am feeling quite inspired! 

No comments:

Post a Comment