Monday 23 June 2014

National Quilt Championships, Sandown Park

First time I have ever entered a judged quilt show, needless to say, I didn't win anything. There were some wonderful quilts.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and am already thinking about next year!

Here's me with both quilts.


The quilt on the right is called Circles 1. It's hand pieced and quilted.
The quilt on the left is called Circles 2. I used fabrics left from the first quilt, but added to it to lighten and brighten the mix. The inspiration for the quilt is a technique by American quilt artist Jane LaFazio called Recycled circles. Each block is made by freely cutting quadrants and then bonding them to the background. Each block is heavily embroidered, machined together and hand quilted with seeding stitches.

Some details:





2 comments:

  1. I love these quilts Sheila! I don't know how you manage to do all this lovely work and your super Distant Stitch work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilts Sheila. I really like Circles 2, I love the hand stitching, and the way you've put the colours together makes it really vibrant, its hard to believe you've just used scraps from the first quilt!

    ReplyDelete