Friday 17 June 2011

Module 2 Chapter 7

Traditional piecing methods.

At Sian's suggestion (in her comments about an earlier chapter), I started by trying to make a tonal column from my printed and painted papers. I have so many it proved extremely difficult, so I settled for making two, only using some of my papers.

2.7.1

2.7.2

The first task is to make some log cabin patterns using my papers. The first sample is a simple log cabin using inch wide strips of paper, which I tore against the edge of a ruler. All these samples are in a 10" square sketchbook.

2.7.3

The next two samples are the "Courthouse steps" method. In the first sample I worked from light to dark, and in the second sample, I worked from dark to light. The width of the strips is slightly less than one inch and they are torn against the edge of a ruler. I find it fascinating that, particularly in the dark to light sample, the various patterns appear to merge and run into each other.

2.7.4

2.7.5

I find my computer such a powerful design tool, that I can rarely resist a bit of scanning and playing. I use Paint Shop Pro 10, although I barely scratch the surface of its potential.

2.7.6

2.7.7

I'm not sure where the idea for the next two samples came from, but I am quite pleased with the results. I am particularly pleased with the change in the tonal values as I worked round. With hindsight it might be interesting to change to the next paper after 3 sides round the square instead of 4.

2.7.8

2.7.9

In this final log cabin sample, I worked round in the traditional manner, but with the centre offset. I used narrow strips on two sides and slightly wider strips on the others, and worked from dark to light on one side and light to dark on the other.

2.7.10
I scanned the design into PSP10, and flipped and mirrored the design to make two repeat patterns, one with the white corner in the centre and the other with the dark corner in the centre.

2.7.11

2.7.12

Now onto the seminole method of piecing. The principle here is that strips of fabric are stitched together, cut up and repieced to create more complicated patterns.

2.7.13

2.7.14

2.7.15

2.7.16

2.7.17

The next task is to recreate the paper designs in fabric - log cabin patterns first, then seminole.

2.7.18

2.7.19

2.7.20

2.7.21

2.7.22

2.7.23

2.7.24

2.7.25

2.7.26

2.7.27

2.7.28

2.7.29

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Just love what you have done here... very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful Sheila. Fabulous contrasts.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete